Special Education Roundtable
October 13th, 2020
This meeting will not be recorded
Parents of kids with special needs are invited to participate in a roundtable discussion on
special education during COVID-19.
1. In-person special education services: during school closure, are districts responsible to provide in-person services if the virtual format does not meet the child's individual needs?
2. Reimbursement: can parents request reimbursements for private tutoring, therapies, or school placement?
3. Private school placement: are students still eligible to receive services from the district if transferred to a private school?
4. Assessments: what are the requirements for initial/triennial assessments in terms of timeline and format?
5. Distance learning plans: do districts have flexibilities to reduce the duration and frequency of special education services in the IEP? When school reopens, will the district resume the services in the original FAPE offer?
Debbie Vielbaum, Educational Consultant
Deborah Bloom, Educational Consultant
Melissa Nolan, Psychologist and Educational Consultant
Gina Miller, Educational Consultant
Roberta Savage, Special Education Attorney